Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Phantom of the Opera 26th Oct
As part of my conquer Broadway Project, I went to catch Phantom of the Opera last thursday with my room-mate and the rest of the exchange students essentially (since they all bought the tickets as well).

As usual, more pictures of the ticket, theatre and me!


The ticket!

Majestic Theatre where it was at!

Pictures of me and some of the cast.

Overall I would say that Phantom is an experience because of the fact that they do alot of opera-ish singing which is quite different from what I have caught so far (i.e. beauty and the beast / the producers).

However it was really sub-standard I feel coz I think the phantom and christine diarre (or however its spelt) did not really do the role justice. Their pronunciation is quite jumbled and their voices did not carry! So disappointed with the standard of the actors. Although the story-line and certain scenes were excellent. For example I really loved the scene where the phantom took christine to his dungeon for the first time and the song / tune they sang is the one everyone knows!

Haha. So hooked onto it I came back and downloaded the whole album. It is from the orginial 1970ish cast in London where Sarah Brightman acted in. Wow, listening to the album really shows the difference in cast. The clarity and emotions are just spectacular. Really loved the songs. 2 in particular, so they will be in the youtube videos on the sidebar! Enjoy all!

Phantom of the Opera Lyrics

Phantom of the Opera
In sleep he sang to me,
in dreams he came ...
that voice which calls to me and speaks my name ...

And do
I dream again?
For now
I find the Phantom of the Opera is there - inside my mind ...

Sing once again with me our strange duet ...
My power over you grows stronger yet ...

And though you turn from me,
to glance behind,
the Phantom of the Opera is there - inside your mind ...

Those who have seen your face draw back in fear ...
I am the mask you wear ...

It's me they hear ...

Your/My spirit and my/your voice in one
combined: the Phantom of the Opera
is there - inside your/my mind ...

He's there,
the Phantom of the Opera ...
Beware the Phantom of the Opera ...

In all your fantasies,
you always knew that man and mystery ...

... were both in you ...

And in this labyrinth where night is blind,
the Phantom of the Opera is there/here - inside your/my mind ...

Sing, my Angel of Music!

He's there the Phantom of the Opera ...

Music of the Night
I have brought you to the seat of sweet music's throne ...
to this kingdom where all must pay homage to music ...
music...

You have come here, for one purpose, and one alone ...
I first heard you sing,
I have needed you with me, to serve me, to sing, for my music ...
my music ...

Night-time sharpens, heightens each sensation ...
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination ...
Silently the senses abandon thier defences ...

Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendour ...
Grasp it, sense it - tremulous and tender ...
Turn your face away from the garish light of day,
turn your thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light -
and listen to the music of the night ...

Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams!
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before!
Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar!
And you'll live as you've never lived before ...

Softly, deftly, music shall surround you ...
Feel it, hear it, closing in around you ...
Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind,
in this darkness which you know you cannot fight -
the darkness of the music of the night.

Let your mind start a journey through a strange, new world!
Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before!
Let your soul
Take you where you long to be!
Only then can you belong to me ...

Floating, falling, sweet intoxication!
Touch me, trust me, savour each sensation!
Let the dream begin,
let your darker side give in to the power of
the music that I write - the power of the music of the night ...

You alone can make my song take flight -
help me make the music of the night ...

 
posted by dan at 2:26:00 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 1:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    i liked phantom.
    my favorite songs r all i ask of u and point of no return